Need a little pick-me-up for your post-bank holiday, mid-week slump? Well, we have one right here, in the form of a completely delicious chicken and chorizo stew dreamed up by Georgie and Jo at Cooking Them Healthy – our go-to destination for healthy and amazing family food. Easy to make and mouth-wateringly good, it’ll get you through hump-day no problem…
Cheeky Chicken and Chorizo Stew
Stews are a brilliant way of combining meat, pulses and vegetables to provide a wholesome and delicious nutrient boost for children. Due to their very nature they are easily digestible, are simple to put together and because they are one-pot dishes, there’s little washing up.
Pulses and beans are a rich source of vegetable protein and make a nice alternative, or in fact addition, to meat dishes, adding texture and flavour. They are also rich in fibre which is important for digestive health, as well as valuable vitamins and minerals such as iron which is a key nutrient to support energy levels. Sweet potato and carrots are rich in beta-carotene, the vegetable source of Vitamin A, to help support a healthy immune system. We simply love the smokey paprika taste that the chorizo brings, making this one pot dish a firm family favourite. You can adapt this recipe to include other seasonal vegetables or pulses, and try adding different spices combinations for variety.
This stew also freezes brilliantly so it is always worth making an extra batch and freezing portions for other days when comfort food is required. This is delicious served with rice, quinoa, a baked sweet or white potato and steamed garlicky broccoli.
500g boned chicken thighs cut into bite sized pieces
1 onion – sliced
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 cloves garlic – pasted or crushes
1 sweet potato chopped into dice
1 stick celery sliced into chunks
2 carrots sliced into chunks
1 red pepper cut into dice
1 tablespoons tomato puree
140g chorizo sausage (we like Unearthed chorizo) cut into small cubes
400ml chicken stock (preferably homemade)
1 x small tin butter beans (or kidney beans) 200g
1 x small tin chickpeas 200g
1 carton chopped tomatoes 400g
1. Place a large casserole dish or saucepan onto a medium heat and add a generous spoonful of coconut oil.
2. Add the sliced onions and sweat until soft. Remove the softened onions and place to one side.
3. Next add the chorizo and lightly saute until crisp and brown. Once cooked, remove the chorizo & keep to one side with the onions.
4. Then add the chicken pieces to the pan to seal in the delicious flavoured oil – you are only looking to brown the meat at this stage to add colour and flavour.
5. Add in the garlic, smoked paprika and tomato puree and cook out for a minute or two. Then add in all vegetables and return the onion and chorizo and stir thoroughly to prevent sticking.
6. Pour in the chicken stock and chopped tomatoes. Bring up to a boil and then down to a gentle simmer. Place the lid onto the pan and cook for 15 minutes. After this time, remove the lid and add the butter beans and chick peas to the stew and allow to cook for a further 5 minutes in order to reduce the sauce and concentrate the flavours.
7. Taste and season to your liking.