Love sausages? Love healthy but DELICIOUS family food? Then, we’ve got the perfect recipe for you – thanks to our favourite foodie team Cooking Them Healthy….
“Sausages are always a hit in our house, and it is nice to try serving them in a more wholesome and hearty way. This delicious warming casserole combines tomatoes, sweet potato, chickpeas, thyme and garlic to offer a tasty immune boost. It is the perfect one pot dish for cooler evenings that takes very little time to prepare. It is bound to go down a treat with all the family.”
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 few sprigs thyme
- 1 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 6 sausages (free range/organic if possible)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, cut into small chunks about 1cm
- Chop up the sausages into bite-size pieces and brown in a saucepan with a little oil. Remove from the pan and keep to one side.
- Sweat the onion in a little butter or oil and then add in garlic. Add sausages back to the pan. Add the tomato puree and then stir in the chopped tomatoes, sweet potato and chickpeas. Place the thyme sprigs in the casserole to infuse. Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes with the lid on until the sweet potato is softened and sausages are cooked through.
- Reduce the casserole down to a thick, glossy consistency by taking off the lid and allowing the sauce to evaporate (approx 5-10 mins).
- Remove the thyme sprigs.
And, if you’re in need of a bit of cooking inspiration, Jo and Georgie are running a Cooking them Healthy recipe demonstration between 10am-2pm on Tuesday 18th October in Midgham Green, Berkshire. As well as sharing delicious, quick and easy family-friendly recipes, they’ll also be offering nutrition advice and answering your questions. More details and tickets here!