Is there any designer as synonymous with beautiful, bright boho luxe as Matthew Williamson? From Ibiza to Miami, LA to Mallorca, glamorous women from around the world can be spotted wafting from pool to party in one of his exquisite designs. Worn by the likes of Thandie Newton, Blake Lively and Sienna Miller, Matthew is one of the UK’s best-known and best-loved designers. He may live in London, but he seriously loves to travel. From Goa to Ibiza, the Maldives to the Caribbean, he can regularly be found on a plane in search of creative inspiration. Glamorous, yet down-to-earth and totally in tune with what women want, he knows exactly what every woman should have in their holiday wardrobe (and where they should wear it)…
What are the 5 essential items every woman should take on holiday and why?
1. An oversized scarf; useful to keep warm in the evenings, it also doubles as a blanket on the plane.
2. A pair of my mirror lens Aviator sunglasses. Available in a selection of bold lens colours such a jade, gold and pink they add a sense of fun to any outfit
3. Le Labo travel oils. Smells are so evocative and comforting, the fragrances will revive you after a long journey.
4. A smart jacket- worn or draped elegantly over your shoulders, it’s an easy way to smarten any outfit for the evening.
5. A roomy bag such as my Nomad tote that fits everything I need for a day in the city or afternoon at the beach.
Where have you spent your summer?
I’ll be spending my summer on the Greek Islands before returning to the studio to work on the Spring/ Summer 2015 collection, showing this September at London Fashion Week.
What did you read and listen to on the beach this year?
I’ll be catching up on all the interior magazines whilst listening to the sound of the ocean which is the perfect way to unwind.
Why do you think kaftans are so fabulous?
Worn poolside, beachside or lounging on a yacht, the kaftan always brings to my mind the high-glamour and luxury of the 70s jet-set era. Effortless and practical they cover all manner of sins whilst away.
Why did you decide to create the rainbow lace kaftan for One & Only?
I’ve had the pleasure of staying at some of the One & Only resorts which inspired the idea of creating a special piece for them which would capture the fun and freedom we all seek when on holiday.
Do you have a favourite O&O resort? If so which one and why do you love it?
One & Only Reethi Rah in the Maldives. Set along a private coast of unparalleled natural beauty my holiday to Reethi Rah was one of the most indulgent and restorative holidays I’ve been on.
Are there any other O&O resorts you’d like to visit?
I’ve yet to travel to Australia but have noted One & Only Hayman Island in Queensland, which is now on my travel wish list.